Variety

As I was trying to fall asleep yesterday, I really began to think about how everything that happened in the day was an example of frienship.

     It started like most other days, with me waking up later than I was supposed to. I went off to school to help in the Engineering Lab with our own lower school Lego Robotics Competition. It was really a lot of fun. I have been mentoring two sixth graders for the past few weeks in building and programming their robot, and they performed extremely well.
     After I left, I had to swing by a Norwegian store to pick up some Swedish supplies for Christmas cooking and stuff. While I was there, I met a kid who is in my grade at my school. I'd never met him before, and it was nice.
     Then I went home and sat in my living room for 3 hours to watch the MLS Cup Final. Hopefully you all know that is a soccer game. It was Real Salt Lake (my favorite team) vs. Sporting Kansas City. With my jersey on, I was using all my willpower to help Salt Lake come out with the win. Unfortunately, they lost on the last penalty kick.
      Immediately after the loss I got into my car, turned up the music, and drove down to the BB&T Center for a concert. Okay, it was a concert for Donny and Marie Osmond. I felt like I was the youngest person there, and I was seriously scared that I would see one of my teachers or something. I didn't even want to go, but my friends got free tickets, so why not? They were actually good seats, but the whole time I was making sarcastic comments or checking Twitter. If I wasn't so sarcastic, it probably would have been a miserable evening. The music wasn't half bad, but it's not my crowd.

     I'm sure your thrilled to have this play-by-play of an exciting Brian Richards Saturday. I summed it up with the following Tweet:


     (You should follow me on Twitter, by the way.)
     Everything that happened yesterday was an example of friendship. I started the day with two 6th graders. For weeks, I have helped them with their robotics and they have become friends of mine. The kid I met at the store was someone I never met before, but we shared a common school. As I watched the game, there were thousands of other fans glued to their TV or cheering at the stadium. I wasn't with any of them, but we all were supporting the same cause. At the concert, I was with people who fit the more standard definition of friends. They are kids from church who I spend a lot of time with.

     The types of friendship available to us and for us to give are boundless. Anyone can be a friend in an instant. You should never think that you don't have any friends or anyone to turn to, and you should never think you have to fit society's definition of friendship. A friend could be in kindergarten, or 65 years old. A friend could be half way across the world, or living in your house. A friend could be someone in your classes, or someone at a different school. Never miss a friendship because you don't think it's the way a friendship should be. You have a bond with every other person on this planet, even if it's only just the fact of being human.
     And if all else fails, you will always have a friendship with God. Whatever your vision of God is, don't be afraid to turn to Him and seek His friendship. He will always know and be concerned with your life.
     Go out there and be a friend. You never know how your friendship will impact others.


    Also in sports news, the Dolphins won today and kept their playoff hopes alive. Auburn is going to win the National Championship. And everyone who goes to American Heritage better be at the State Final this Friday, 1:00 in Orlando.
     Have a good week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mi CumpleaƱos!

Conference

The World Today