Why I'm Serving a Mission

Preaching the Gospel of Christ
"Now this is the commandment: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day. 
Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel;" - 3 Nephi 27:20-21
Last Friday I got a packet in the mail that I've been waiting for for more or less than 18 years. After recently filling out my application, I got the letter that would tell me where I will serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I found out that I will be spending two years, starting July 1st, in Rancagua, Chile to preach the gospel of Christ and give service. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time, and I know that Chile is where I am supposed to go.

But that's not to say I don't have any apprehension. I'll be leaving the US for the first time, and leaving it for two straight years. I'm moving to a foreign place, with different food, people, and culture. Sure, I've studied Spanish for a few years, but can I really speak it and teach others in it? Besides the culture shock, am I ready to be a missionary? I'll have to spend practically my entire day each day serving and teaching. Can I really teach others about the church I know is true?

Despite my fears, I have faith. And faith is the opposite of fear. I trust that God will help lead me to be the best I can be on my mission, and I know that I can have success through Him.

But besides all that, why am I even serving a mission?

I am serving a mission because I know Jesus Christ lives and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is His true church on the earth today. His gospel involves faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. This simple pattern has made my life what it is today, and has blessed the lives of countless other people. I want to share this with the people in Rancagua, Chile, because I know that it will make a difference in their lives. I want to serve them and serve God. It may seem counterintuitive to leave college for 2 years and go speak some foreign language, but I know that it will bless my life in ways I can't imagine. This is Christ's true Church and gospel, and I am called to serve Him for this time.

Learn more at mormon.org or by asking me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mi CumpleaƱos!

Conference

The World Today